If you're in a motor vehicle accident, you know that the aftermath can be full of many twists and turns. Regardless of the relationship that you have with your insurance company, you need to touch base as soon as possible.
Here are some of the many things that you need to do:
- Review your policy to ensure that you understand your coverage and what you should receive from your insurance company
- Call your agent as soon as you can to let him or her know exactly what is going on
- Keep detailed notes of every conversation you have with your agent and other insurance representatives
- Take pictures of the accident scene, as well as your injuries, as these can come in handy if you attempt to collect compensation
- Be honest and to the point with your insurance company, all without answering any questions that make you uncomfortable
Don't assume that your insurance company is on your side. While they will do whatever they can to help, they're also in the business of making your claim go away with the least amount of money as possible.
A car accident is a big deal, as it can have an impact on your physical and mental health and finances. You need to be in touch with your insurance company, as this can help you put your situation in the past sooner rather than later.
In the end, the only thing that matters is that you feel good about the steps you are taking and the compensation you're receiving for your injuries and damages.
Source: FindLaw, "Car Insurance Claims: Dos and Don'ts," accessed Jan. 10, 2018